The house was established in the 1620s by Sir Richard Robartes and his son, John Robartes, 1st Earl of Radnor. It originally had a four-sided layout, arranged around a central courtyard, but following the 1881 fire, the East Wing was demolished, leaving the U-shaped plan of today. The Long Gallery was the only significant part of the original house to survive undamaged, although the 17th-century gateway also still stands.
The present house is largely the work of the local Liskeard architect Richard Coad, who had worked as an assistant to Sir George Gilbert Scott on the house's redevelopment during the 1850s. No expense was spared by the house's owner, Lord Robartes, who by that time was one of the richest landowners in Cornwall, commanding an estate that covered more than 20,000 acres, or nearly 3% of the county. The house was equipped with all possible luxuries and furnished at lavish expense. cheap coach hire emergency minibus hire minibus taxi hire minibus hire with driver minibus hire kent cheap minibus hire local minibus hire drayton manor minibus hire london to luton minibus hire liverpool to manchester minibus hire manchester taxi hire alton towers minibus hire minibus hire crewe minibus hire wolverhampton minibus hire ipswich minibus hire blackpool coach hire peterborough minibus hire leicester thorpe park minibus hire